Age discrimination in the workforce is one of the most subtle violations. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 helps protect individuals 40 years or older from employment discrimination based on age. In an age discrimination case, a Los Angeles wrongful termination lawyer must prove that reason for the termination is due to the employee’s age. An employer may be determined to get rid of an employee and will use any possible means to do so. A Los Angeles discrimination lawyer can assist you when filing a wrongful termination claim against your employer.
Key Questions to Ask Yourself
There are certain signs that an employee can detect if there is suspicion of age discrimination. Experienced Los Angeles discrimination attorneys can also detect these signs. Employees often overlook these subtle signs when they are interacting with fellow coworkers and supervisors. Here are some of the questions you should ask yourself if you suspect age discrimination at your place of employment:
- Were you ever teased about your age by a superior figure at your place of employment? This can include being called names such as “old man” or “old lady” and told jokes that harbor on old age such as “you are too old to stoop low when changing the printer toner.”
- After working for many years at the same place of employment, have you been told your work ethnics have recently changed?
- Have you seen other coworkers, who are close to your age, suddenly been eliminated from the work schedule?
- When receiving performance reports, have you received unwarranted negative performance ratings?
- After you were terminated, have you noticed a younger worker filling the role you once occupied?
If you answered yes to at least two of these questions, you may have been a victim of age discrimination. A Los Angeles wrongful termination attorney can also help you decide if you have been a victim.