Have Questions About Los Angeles and California labor and Employment Laws?
Our Los Angeles Employment Law Firm Defends Workers’ Rights
Everyone expects to be treated with respect and professionalism at work. Your working environment should be safe, your skills should be recognized, and your efforts should be rewarded. Unfortunately, not every workplace is fair, and many employees find themselves struggling to protect their rights. Workplace discrimination and harassment are common, creating hostile work environments. Worse, sometimes managers encourage these practices, whether actively or passively. Our Los Angeles employment law firm knows how sensitive and complicated issues with your employer can be. We know that discrimination, sexual harassment, denied FMLA claims, and wage and hour claims are not only heartbreaking, they are illegal.
At Kesluk, Silverstein, Jacob & Morrison, P.C., we defend workers who experience adverse, illicit and unlawful treatment. If you face discrimination from a specific superior or by company administration, then our knowledge of California employment laws can help. Discrimination and harassment at work can create a hostile work environment for not only you, but your peers and coworkers as well. Our substantial experience in defending workers’ rights can help you reach a swift and favorable resolution.
What Is Workplace Discrimination?
Discrimination at the workplace can take many forms. An employer, labor union or employment agency may show bias when you apply for a job or while you are working. If you believe that you have been discriminated against, then you may be entitled to file an employment law claim. We offer a free attorney case review to discuss discrimination questions. To prepare for that meeting, we provide a discrimination questionnaire to help you get us the right information.
Common types of discrimination that workers may experience include:
- Age Discrimination: California law states that it is illegal to harass or discriminate any employee who is over the age of 40. This applies to businesses with 20 or more employees.
- Disability Discrimination: You have rights under disability discrimination laws, as long as you are otherwise qualified to perform your job duties. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with physical or mental limitations.
- Pregnancy Discrimination: The Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) protects pregnant employees from discrimination at work.
- Racial and National Origin Discrimination: You have rights under federal law for racial discrimination based upon Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. You also have rights protecting you for discrimination based on your national origin.
- Sex and Gender Discrimination: Gender harassment is also a form of sex discrimination, but does not need to be sexual in nature. We can identify if you have been discriminated based on sex, gender or sexual orientation. We can also guide you through sexual harassment claims.
- General Harassment: There are various kinds of harassment that can take place at work. Our Los Angeles harassment lawyers have put together a guide that explains what to do after sexual harassment and other forms of workplace harassment.
When Do I Need a Workplace Harassment Lawyer?
There are many issues our Los Angeles employment law firm can help you with. Our lawyers can explain wrongful termination causes and specific examples of wrongful termination cases in Southern California. If you are expecting a child, then our maternity leave lawyers can explain pregnancy disability leave laws. Federal and state laws require that your employer pay you minimum wages and overtime. Our unpaid wages attorney can help explain other California wage disputes. We also have experience with:
- Family Medical and Leave Act (FMLA): You have a right to go on leave from work to take care of yourself or family members. FMLA and California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) have regulations to protect families.
- Business Litigation: We can help resolve a number of business disputes with customers, suppliers, contractors, business partners, co-directors and shareholders. Our attorneys can also prepare contracts of employment and compromise agreements with your employees. This helps avoid future disputes on terms and conditions.
- Class Actions: Our employment class action attorneys know that sometimes class actions can be the best choice for groups of employees. We can bring our resources, knowledge and experience to every class action lawsuit we represent.
- Whistleblowing: Did you refuse to take part in illegal or unlawful practices your employer is violating? Did you report your employer (or blow the whistle) for these actions and are now experiencing workplace retaliation? You have rights under federal whistleblower protection laws as well as under the California Whistleblower Protection Act.
Discriminated Against at Work? Our Los Angeles Employment Law Firm Can Help
Employment discrimination is a complex area of law. Do not gamble your future by being overwhelmed by employment law. Furthermore, do not live in fear of retaliation. Our Los Angeles employment law firm can help you escape or correct the toxic environment at your job. You have a legal right to fight for the justice and monetary recompense you deserve. With our law firm at your side, we can hold your employer responsible and prevent future abuse.
At Kesluk, Silverstein, Jacob & Morrison, P.C. we fight for workers because you deserve to feel comfortable and valued at your job. Whether you are denied an FMLA claim, passed up for promotion or sexually harassed, we can help. If your employers are neglecting their duties and fostering an unsafe environment, then we can help. Call us today at (310) 273-3180 or contact us through our online form.